Key Points
- Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick reveals that the team is “very happy with Myles” Lewis-Skelly and does not want to sell him.
- Agents have approached Chelsea and Manchester United regarding the 19-year-old but Arsenal insist that they’re not actively trying to offer him.
- Chelsea and Manchester United have declined the offer and United in particular seem to doubt that £45m will be enough.
- Lewis-Skelly is keen to remain at Arsenal and is not considering any offers, according to several reports.
- Wayne Rooney has urged United to buy him as a “no-brainer” considering his versatility and cost.
FC United of Manchester (Liverpool standard ) August 19, 2026 – Arsenal have moved to clarify their position on Myles Lewis-Skelly after fresh transfer speculation linked the academy graduate with a £45m move to Manchester United. As reported by John Brown of the Evening Standard, Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick told talkSPORT: “Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and he started this season really well and as I say we’re always looking to retain and build on our best players… we’re very happy with Myles and the position he’s in at the club.” The comments come after reports that intermediaries associated with Lewis-Skelly had approached both United and Chelsea about a potential deal, though Arsenal insist they have not actively marketed the player.
- Key Points
- How did the Lewis-Skelly transfer speculation begin?
- What have Chelsea and Manchester United said?
- What is Arsenal’s official stance on selling Lewis-Skelly?
- What does Myles Lewis-Skelly want?
- Why are some urging Manchester United to act?
- Background: How did Lewis-Skelly reach this point?
- Prediction: How could this affect Arsenal, Manchester United and Lewis-Skelly?
How did the Lewis-Skelly transfer speculation begin?
The story gained traction after multiple outlets reported that the 19-year-old had been made available to Premier League rivals. As reported by Richard Jolly of The Telegraph, Chelsea and Manchester United “turned down the chance to sign Myles Lewis-Skelly after they were contacted by an intermediary associated with the Arsenal left-back”. The Telegraph added that Arsenal value Lewis-Skelly at around £45m and, as an academy product, any uk/local/sale/">sale would represent pure profit.
The Athletic’s Simon Johnson and Laurie Whitwell separately reported that while the player had been offered to both clubs, Arsenal maintain they have not directly offered him to anyone. Johnson wrote for The Athletic: “Arsenal maintain they have not actively offered Lewis-Skelly out for transfer. After his impressive end to last season, he is not someone the club set out to sell in this window.”
What have Chelsea and Manchester United said?
Both clubs have rebuffed the approach. As reported by Richard Jolly of The Telegraph, Chelsea “had no interest in discussing Lewis-Skelly, having already spent more than £300m this summer”, with new head coach Xabi Alonso prioritising other targets such as Pep Chavarría. Manchester United similarly “flatly turned down the possibility of moving for Lewis-Skelly”, according to The Telegraph.
The Athletic’s Laurie Whitwell noted additional nuance on United’s position, writing: “At United, there is also some scepticism about how much he would cost, with the expectation that £45million would not be enough.” United are understood to be seeking a left-back to rotate with Luke Shaw, but have also looked at alternatives including Newcastle’s Lewis Hall and Real Madrid’s Eduardo Camavinga.
What is Arsenal’s official stance on selling Lewis-Skelly?
Arsenal’s public line is that they are not pursuing a sale. As reported by John Brown of the Evening Standard, Garlick said: “Obviously there may be speculation, I’m not going to go into that from other clubs but we’re very happy with Myles and the position he’s in at the club.” The Athletic’s reporting aligns with this, stating: “Arsenal do not actively want to lose Lewis-Skelly… they planned to sell several squad members to ensure regulatory compliance and unlock greater spending potential,” but Lewis-Skelly was not among those earmarked for departure.
That said, The Athletic added a caveat that Arsenal may need to be flexible if expected sales do not materialise before the September 1 deadline.
What does Myles Lewis-Skelly want?
All available reporting indicates Lewis-Skelly wishes to remain at Arsenal. As reported by Simon Johnson of The Athletic:
“Lewis-Skelly, who has been at Arsenal since the age of eight, is unequivocal: he wants to stay. He is neither seeking nor even exploring a move away from the Emirates Stadium.”
The player has featured prominently in pre-season, starting three of Arsenal’s first four friendlies, with coaching staff working to refine his midfield role.
Why are some urging Manchester United to act?
Despite United’s rejection of the approach, former United striker Wayne Rooney has publicly advocated for a deal. As reported by John Brown of the Evening Standard, Rooney said on the Stick to United podcast:
“I don’t think you can rely on Luke Shaw to be consistent for the whole season and that leads me to Myles Lewis-Skelly… If you can get a player in who can play left-back and centre-midfield, that’s an absolute no-brainer.” Rooney added: “Arsenal have spent a lot over the last couple of years so selling Lewis-Skelly makes some sense as it would be pure profit… If you’re United and he becomes available it’s a no-brainer.”
Background: How did Lewis-Skelly reach this point?
Lewis-Skelly emerged through Arsenal’s Hale End academy, joining at age eight, and broke into first-team contention as a left-back before transitioning to central midfield. He finished the 2025-26 campaign as a key figure in Arsenal’s title-winning side, earning a start in the Champions League final at 19. He also made his England debut in March 2025 against Albania, scoring and being named man of the match on his way to six caps. His versatility across left-back and midfield, combined with homegrown status, has made him an attractive proposition in the market, even as Arsenal’s midfield became more crowded following the £75m arrival of Bruno Guimarães.
Prediction: How could this affect Arsenal, Manchester United and Lewis-Skelly?
If Arsenal hold firm and Lewis-Skelly remains, he will likely resume a high-level squad role competing with Declan Rice, Bruno Guimarães, Martín Zubimendi and Mikel Merino for midfield minutes, while also providing cover at left-back. For Manchester United, continuing to pass on a versatile, homegrown-profile player at £45m could leave them short of depth if injuries hit Luke Shaw or if alternative left-back targets prove elusive. For Lewis-Skelly himself, staying at a title-winning club where he is wanted could accelerate his development, though sustained minutes may depend on squad rotation or further departures. Should market dynamics shift before the window closes, a renewed approach cannot be ruled out, but current signals point to status quo: Arsenal happy, player committed, and rivals standing off.
