Key Points
- There was a fire at Wellington Industrial Park, near to Chew Valley Road, on Sunday, 16th August 2026.
- The fire affected an industrial complex adjacent to the Tesco superstore.
- Over 10 fire engines, aerial ladder trucks and other special equipment were mobilized from Greater Manchester.
- About 45 houses in Wellington Road and Knoll Close were evacuated.
- The residents were moved to the Satellite Centre where they were given food and water and other aid.
- The residents have been allowed to go back after firefighters used gas detectors to clear the area.
- The fire fighters continued to work for the night and the next day to ensure that the area is made safe.
- Wellington Road had been closed in both directions between Chew Valley Road and Halls Way.
- Tesco Greenfield was closed temporarily but re-opened at about 1.30pm on Sunday.
- Local councillor Ellen Bishop said around 10 to 15 people used the Satellite Centre for refreshments and support.
Manchester Fire (Manchester Mirror) August 17, 2026 – Firefighters have issued an update after a large blaze at an industrial site led to the precautionary evacuation of around 45 homes near Chew Valley Road.
- Key Points
- Why were homes evacuated?
- What support was available at the Satellite Centre?
- What did the fire service say?
- Was the Tesco supermarket affected?
- How long did the emergency response continue?
- What is the latest position for residents?
- What is known about the cause of the fire?
- How did local people respond?
- Background to the development
- How could the development affect residents and local businesses?
The fire began at approximately 7.45am on Sunday, August 16, at Wellington Industrial Park in Greenfield, Saddleworth. The site is located close to the Tesco supermarket, and large plumes of smoke were reported across the surrounding area as emergency crews tackled the fire.
According to the Manchester Evening News, the incident involved a large fire inside an industrial building. Greater uk/fire/">Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) mobilised more than 10 fire engines, aerial ladder units and specialist appliances from across the region.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to bring the flames under control. Because of the scale of the fire and the smoke in the area, residents on nearby streets were asked to leave their homes as a safety precaution.
The evacuation affected properties on Wellington Road and Knoll Close. Residents who could not remain at home were directed to the Satellite Centre, which was used as a temporary support hub while emergency services continued their work.
Why were homes evacuated?
The homes were evacuated as a precaution because of the fire, smoke and the need to maintain a safe operating area around the industrial building.
In an update reported by the Manchester Evening News, a GMFRS spokesperson said around 45 homes on nearby streets had been evacuated. Fire crews later used gas detectors before allowing residents to return.
The use of gas detectors formed part of the safety checks carried out after the main firefighting operation. The checks were intended to help establish whether it was safe for people to go back to their properties.
The fire service said its crews remained at the scene overnight and continued working with partner agencies to make the site safe. Residents were subsequently permitted to return to their homes.
The Manchester Evening News reported that a section of Wellington Road remained closed in both directions between Chew Valley Road and Halls Way while the incident continued. Drivers and pedestrians were advised to avoid the affected area where possible and follow instructions from emergency services.
What support was available at the Satellite Centre?
The Satellite Centre became a temporary meeting point for residents displaced by the evacuation.
Ellen Bishop, a local ward councillor and trustee, told the Manchester Evening News that approximately 10 to 15 people used the centre during the day. The centre provided water, food and drinks while local representatives liaised with emergency services.
As reported by the Manchester Evening News, Bishop said she had been woken by requests to open the centre after people were told to leave their homes. She described the facility as a hub for residents and said staff had been supplying meals and refreshments while the emergency response continued.
Some residents also told the Manchester Evening News that they went to the centre because their water supplies had been disrupted during the fire.
The support offered at the centre reflected the immediate needs of residents who had been asked to leave their homes with little notice. It also provided a place where people could receive updates and remain away from the operational area.
What did the fire service say?
GMFRS said crews were called shortly after 7.45am on Sunday, August 16, following reports of a fire at an industrial building at Wellington Industrial Park, off Chew Valley Road in Greenfield, Oldham.
The service said more than 10 fire engines, aerial ladder units and specialist appliances were quickly mobilised from across Greater Manchester. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire.
The GMFRS statement, quoted by the Manchester Evening News, said approximately 45 homes had been evacuated as a precaution. It added that residents had returned after fire crews used gas detectors to ensure it was safe to do so.
The service also said crews had remained at the scene overnight and continued working with partner agencies to secure the site.
The wording of the update indicates that the firefighting operation had moved beyond tackling the flames and towards checking the building, monitoring conditions and dealing with any remaining hazards. The fire service did not state in the update what caused the blaze.
Was the Tesco supermarket affected?
The Tesco Greenfield store was temporarily closed during the incident because of its proximity to the fire and the emergency response.
The Manchester Evening News reported that the store reopened at approximately 1.30pm on Sunday. The temporary closure occurred while firefighters and other emergency personnel worked near the industrial site.
The supermarket is located close to Wellington Industrial Park, meaning that the cordon and emergency vehicle movements affected access to the surrounding area. The temporary closure also formed part of the wider precautionary response as crews dealt with smoke and the fire inside the industrial building.
There was no indication in the fire service update that the supermarket itself had caught fire. The reported focus of the incident remained the industrial building at Wellington Industrial Park.
How long did the emergency response continue?
Fire crews continued working through Sunday and remained at the scene overnight.
The initial response involved a large number of firefighting vehicles and specialist equipment. Crews used breathing apparatus, hose reels and jets while dealing with the industrial building fire.
After the main blaze had been extinguished, firefighters continued to work with other agencies to make the site safe. Gas detectors were used before residents were allowed to return to their homes.
The fire service’s Monday update did not provide a final explanation of the cause of the fire or confirm whether the building had suffered structural damage. It also did not state how long the road closure would remain in place.
Residents and road users were therefore expected to continue following local instructions while crews completed their work at the site.
What is the latest position for residents?
Residents who were evacuated have been allowed to return home.
The return followed safety checks by firefighters, including the use of gas detectors. GMFRS said crews continued working at the scene to secure the area and ensure the site was safe.
Although residents were able to return, the ongoing presence of emergency crews and the closure of part of Wellington Road showed that the incident had not been treated as fully concluded at the time of the update.
People living close to the industrial site were expected to remain aware of any further instructions from the fire service, police or other responding agencies. The road closure also meant that travel through the immediate area could remain disrupted.
What is known about the cause of the fire?
The available update does not identify the cause of the Greenfield blaze.
The Manchester Evening News reported the location, timing, emergency response and evacuation details, but the GMFRS statement did not give a cause. No conclusion about how the fire started should therefore be drawn from the information currently available.
Industrial fires can require additional checks because buildings may contain machinery, stored materials or other substances that can create hazards during and after firefighting. In this incident, the fire service said specialist appliances were used and gas detectors were deployed during the safety assessment.
Any future statement from the fire service, police, site operator or other investigating agencies would be needed before the cause could be reported as established.
How did local people respond?
Residents followed evacuation instructions and used the Satellite Centre for support during the incident.
Councillor Ellen Bishop said the centre received around 10 to 15 people and provided food, water and drinks. She also described communication with emergency services during the response.
Other residents reported going to the centre after their water supplies were disrupted. These accounts, reported by the Manchester Evening News, illustrate how the impact of the fire extended beyond the industrial building itself.
The temporary road closure, smoke and proximity of the Tesco supermarket also affected movement around the area. Emergency services urged people to avoid the incident zone so that crews could work safely.
Background to the development
The Greenfield blaze occurred at Wellington Industrial Park, off Chew Valley Road in Greenfield, Saddleworth, near the Tesco supermarket. The incident began shortly after 7.45am on Sunday, August 16, 2026.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service responded with more than 10 fire engines, aerial ladder units and specialist appliances. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire.
Around 45 homes on Wellington Road and Knoll Close were evacuated as a precaution. The Satellite Centre provided temporary assistance to residents, while Tesco Greenfield was closed for part of Sunday before reopening at around 1.30pm.
Fire crews worked overnight and remained at the scene on Monday to make the site safe. Residents were allowed to return after gas detectors were used. Wellington Road remained closed in both directions between Chew Valley Road and Halls Way during the continuing response. The fire service update did not establish the cause of the blaze.
How could the development affect residents and local businesses?
For residents, the immediate effect is likely to be continued caution around the industrial site while firefighters and partner agencies complete safety work. Even though evacuated households have been allowed to return, the road closure and presence of emergency crews may continue to affect journeys and access.
Local businesses could experience short-term disruption if customers, deliveries or staff are affected by the cordon and restricted traffic. Tesco Greenfield has reopened, but access to nearby roads may remain less convenient while the response continues.
Residents should rely on updates from GMFRS, Greater Manchester Police, Oldham Council and local transport authorities for information about road access, safety instructions and any further restrictions. The longer-term effect on the industrial building, surrounding businesses and the road network will depend on the outcome of safety inspections and any investigation into the cause of the fire.
